In pursuit of a dream? Here, you can get The Alchemist quotes, summary, themes, and meaning from this classic fable, as well as lifestyle pairings, to inspire you to discover your life’s purpose and pursue it wholeheartedly.
No book has been quite as thought-provoking or insightful as this short must-read, filled to the brim with life’s biggest lessons. Read on for more, and get inspired!
Definition of “The Alchemist”
An alchemist is someone who transforms something for the better. This has both scientific definitions, in terms of such actions as changing the form of certain metals, and spiritual connotations, in terms of helping someone become a better person.
Summary of The Alchemist
Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist is the beloved modern classic fable (and one of the best selling books of all time) about following your dream, with depth unlike any other “self-help” text I have read, and it resonated with me deeply in why I created this blog.
While the story is simple, it imparts far more soulful truths beyond the text itself. The Alchemist centers around an Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago, who travels from his home in Spain to the desert of Egypt to search for buried treasure near the Pyramids. Along his journey, he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest. None of these people know what the treasure is, or if Santiago will be able to find it, as Santiago’s journey becomes one of discovering treasure within.
It’s a quick read that’s mystical and wise, with lush writing and buried universal truths about the importance of our dreams and listening to our hearts. But don’t let it fool you — this “self-help” is not hokey or surface level — it’s soulful and spirited, loaded with purpose and meaning, and transformative power.
Themes in The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Alchemist is rich with such life themes as:
- finding your life’s purpose;
- listening to your heart;
- following your dreams;
- the law of attraction;
- the power of love;
- how fear can hold you back from reaching your potential;
- resilience and not giving up;
- the importance of community;
- the fleeting nature of life; and
- the value of the intangible.
Best Quotes from The Alchemist
“When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.”
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
“It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”
“The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.”
“The simple things are also the most extraordinary things, and only the wise can see them.”
“Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure.”
“No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world.”
“And, when you can’t go back, you have to worry only about the best way of moving forward.”
“People are afraid to pursue their most important dreams, because they feel that they don’t deserve them, or that they’ll be unable to achieve them.”
Pairings for The Alchemist
For more like The Alchemist:
- Journal about your own life’s purpose and make a to-do list that gets you started taking even small actions in support of it — then get started. Life doesn’t come with a do-over. Make it count!
- Read more thoughtful self-help books. I like:
- You Are a Badass (which is a lighthearted catch-all for all self-help thinking out there), Rethinking Success (to find meaning in the intangible),
- Take the Enneagram test and start reading up on your type on Pinterest and Instagram. It’s tremendously insightful as to your driving motivations and fears that may be holding you back.
- Listen to my personally curated Spotify playlist of “confidence songs” to motivate you.
Now you know all about The Alchemist quotes, summary, and themes from this classic fable. I hope you’ve been inspired to discover your purpose & pursue it wholeheartedly.