This book review of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott briefly summarizes the beloved classic and my thoughts on it. And because this is a book pairings blog “where books meet lifestyle,” I have also provided some recommended book pairings for further learning, including the 2019 movie trailer and quotes.
Book Review of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Little Women is an excellent, easy-to-read book that has delighted generations of readers. It's the classic Civil War-era story of four very different, but very creative, sisters on their home front with their endearing mother, anticipating their father's homecoming from the War.
Jo - a headstrong and ambitious writer;
Beth - a quiet music lover;
Meg - a nurturing and feminine caretaker; and
Amy - a youthful and spirited artist.
Their mother fosters a creative childhood at home, including a friendship with a local boy, Laurie. The children come of age amidst a backdrop of both adventures and hardships.
Little Women is one classic that delivers for readers of all ages and genders. It's so easy to read, heartwarming and emotional and, in my personal opinion, should be read in schools just as avidly as more "masculine" books like Huck Finn. (I consider this a personal mission.)
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott has stood the test of time, and it is one of my absolute favorite books.
Quotes from Little Women
Below are some of my favorite quotes from the Little Women book:
“I'd rather take coffee than compliments just now.”
“...for love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride.”
“Have regular hours for work and play; make each day both useful and pleasant, and prove that you understand the worth of time by employing it well. Then youth will bring few regrets, and life will become a beautiful success.”
“Take some books and read; that’s an immense help; and books are always good company if you have the right sort.”
“The humblest tasks get beautified if loving hands do them.”
Movie Trailer for Little Women (2019)
Below is the movie trailer for the 2019 adaptation of the Little Women novel (which I absolutely ADORED):
For more like Little Women novel:
- Watch the movie -- As mentioned, I ADORE the most recent version. The costumes! The scenery! The drama! Simply spectacular.
- Read Meg & Jo and/or Jo & Laurie -- modern re-tellings of these characters' lives.
- Check out these stunning Little Women book covers throughout time.
- Make a delicious, inspired treat from a Little Women cookbook (Option 1) (Option 2). I particularly love this idea, especially around the holidays.
- Explore Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House, either in person or online.
- Check out my Little Women gift guide for cute little items for the biggest fans.
- Have a Little Women inspired Christmas.
Books by Louisa May Alcott
If you'd like to read more of Louisa May Alcott's books, check these out:
- Little Women(1868)
- Little Men: Life at Plumfield with Jo's Boys (1871)
- Jo's Boys (1886)
- The Inheritance (1849, unpublished until 1997)
- Moods (1865, revised 1882)
- The Mysterious Key and What It Opened (1867)
- An Old Fashioned Girl (1870)
- Will's Wonder Book (1870)
- Work: A Story of Experience (1873)
- Eight Cousins (1875)
- Rose in Bloom: A Sequel to Eight Cousins (1876)
- Under the Lilacs (1878)
- Jack and Jill: A Village Story (1880)
- Proverb Stories (1882)
I hope this book review of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott inspires you to pick up this beloved classic, write a book report and/or pair the book with my recommended lifestyle pairings.