This creamy vegan tortellini soup oozes decadence and comforting flavors. It allows vegans to indulge in a soup often thought of as containing dairy. And it can be made in about 30 minutes in one pot!
You certainly won't miss dairy when you use the quality vegan "dairy" products I recommend after years of taste testing. I wouldn't be surprised if you fool people into thinking it's "the real thing."
Best Ingredient Recommendations
For the main components: I prefer these specific Kite Hill "ricotta" tortellini, which is made with almond milk and vegan but is not gluten-free as the pasta contains wheat flour. They are so creamy and delicious. I also prefer Myoko's or Earth Balance vegan butter and the popular Oatly oat milk.
How to Make Creamy Vegan Tortellini Soup
This creamy vegan tortellini soup recipe is perfect for salty and creamy warmth on a cold day. So, let's get to it!
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (or 1 yellow onion, chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup flour (i.e., all purpose, whole wheat)
- 6 cups vegetable broth (1 and ½ boxes)
- 1 package frozen vegan "cheese" tortellini
- 1 bag fresh spinach
- 1 cup vegan milk (unflavored, unsweetened)
- Optional toppings: nutritional yeast, freshly ground pepper, garlic salt, fresh parsley, Trader Joe's Vegan Chicken-less Seasoning
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter.
- Add the carrots, onion powder (or onion), Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat for two-three minutes.
- Whisk in the flour until crumbly.
- Slowly add the broth, continuing to whisk until the soup is well combined with no lumps.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Add the frozen tortellini and spinach. Continue to cook over medium-high heat, until tortellini expands and rises to the top, for about 5 minutes (give or take - tortellini varies).
- Stir in cream or milk and bring back to a boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. It will be VERY hot!
- Scoop into bowls and season. I prefer to add nutritional yeast for umami flavor (and health benefits), freshly ground black pepper and Trader Joe's Vegan Chicken-less Seasoning, for the comforting flavors of "chicken" soup.
- I prefer Myoko's or Earth Balance vegan butter.
- I prefer Kite Hill "ricotta" tortellini, which is made with almond milk and vegan, but not gluten-free as the pasta contains wheat flour.
- I prefer Oatly oat milk.
- To store, I like to place the broth and the tortellini in separate containers, so that the noodles don't soak up all the broth over time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 1258mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g
And to store, I like to place the broth and the tortellini in separate containers, so that the noodles don't soak up all the broth over time.
Related Vegan Soup Recipe Posts
And if you enjoy vegan food, check out more of my simple vegan (and mostly gluten-free) soup recipes:
Pin this creamy vegan tortellini soup recipe to Pinterest because you can refer back to it when you are in the mood for a comforting and decadent soup.