This vegan red beans and rice recipe is Cajun comfort food at its finest! Between soft carbs and tasty Southern spice, this dish is an incredibly satisfying vegan copycat of a traditionally non-vegan dish. With my recommendations, you can make it much quicker than other recipes, and in one pot!
Vegan Substitutes for Red Beans and Rice
Liquid smoke, vegetable broth and vegan sausage make the perfect substitutes for animal-based sausage and broth. And frozen or microwave-ready rice will save you tons of time.
It’s one of my (non-vegan) husband’s favorite dishes I make for him! He studied in New Orleans and loves the Cajun style of the dish, especially on cold nights. We love to pair it with the best fiction books about New Orleans.
Best Ingredient Recommendations
Before we get to the recipe, I want to note the Louisiana based ingredients we recommend based on my husband’s time living there:
- We highly recommend Amazon’s Choice Crystal, Louisiana’s Pure Hot Sauce, which is mild and thus, a crowd-pleaser. (Check the price on Amazon.)
- We highly recommend Amazon’s Choice Tony Chachere’s Original Cajun Seasoning, which also originates in Louisiana, and is a great mix of spiciness and saltiness. (Check the price on Amazon.)
- We usually use Tofurky Original Sausage in the Kielbasa flavor, which is similar to the Andouille sausage traditionally used. (Check the price on Amazon.)
For the most authentic style dish, use these specific ingredients. You can buy easily buy them on Amazon via the above links!
And, before we get to the recipe, below are answers to frequently asked questions about red beans and rice.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, Popeye’s red beans and rice dish is not vegan. It is reported to contain fish and/or pork fat.
No. Per Zatarain’s, their red beans and rice are vegetarian, but not vegan.
No. Per Uncle Ben’s, their red beans and rice are vegetarian.
This recipe is one of our absolute favorites for a comforting dinner. I hope you enjoy the added smoky and Cajun flavors as much as I do!
Best Southern Cuisine Vegan Cookbooks
Also, since this is a blog “where books meet lifestyle,” I am pairing this recipe with the following related cookbooks for more like this recipe:
Related Vegan Recipe Posts
If you enjoy vegan food, check out more of my simple vegan (and mostly gluten-free) recipes:
- “Shrimp” and grits (another one of our Cajun favorites)
- Spicy penne alla vodka sauce
- Broccoli “cheese” soup
- Philly cheesesteaks
- Spring pasta with lemon, asparagus, peas & mushrooms
- 15 minute chocolate chip cookies
- Banana oat bars with blueberries and walnuts
- Creamy tortellini soup
- 12+ quick vegan meals for dinner or lunch
- Roasted cauliflower & leek soup
- Vegetable casserole with baked veggies
- Pasta primavera with red sauce
Pin this recipe to Pinterest because you can refer back to it when you are in the mood for a comforting dinner.