This recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies produces cookies that are downright addictive, and they couldn't be easier to make! As a bonus, they are gluten-free, as they are made with oats, and they have no oils and no sugar added.
It makes me feel soo good to indulge in a scrumptious dessert that has minimal ingredients and isn't loaded with toxins and other potentially harmful ingredients. I am convinced you don't need a ton of bells and whistles, just the right accompaniments, to do the trick when it comes to better eating.
Yes, these cookies are a dessert, but they also provide antioxidants and other nutritious benefits of oats, dark chocolate, tahini, maple syrup, cinnamon and walnuts.
And you definitely won't be able to eat just one! I first created and tested this recipe when I could not find an old recipe I had for similar cookies that my husband, quite honestly, didn't really like. I had no baking powder or flour on hand thanks to the Coronavirus quarantine, but still wanted to give us a sweet after-dinner treat, so I considered this to be a creative experiment.
As such, when I first crafted this recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies, I warned my husband that he probably wouldn't like these cookies, but he tested them out and remarked, "These are actually pretty good!" He then proceeded to have another...
I refined my original recipe one more time because we wanted them to be a bit chewier and less crumbly than the first batch (hence, the flax egg).
We were thrilled with the results. Tahini just makes everything better, doesn't it?! I got my husband's seal of approval, and these are now our go-to cookies.
This was surprisingly the easiest recipe creation process I have had! And the preparation is also as easy as it gets. Let's get to it.
Best Ingredient Recommendations
- Enjoy Life chocolate chips: Our favorite dairy-free chocolate brand. It's neither too bitter nor too sweet. It's just perfect!
- Soom tahini: A popular women-owned small business based near me in Philadelphia and the choice tahini of James Beard's best restaurant in the country a few years ago.
- Bob's Red Mill flax meal: A trusted brand with which you can't go wrong.
How to Make 15 Minute Gluten Free and Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¾ cup quick cooking oats
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips
- pinch of sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°.
- Make the flax egg by mixing the flax meal with the water in a small bowl. Set it aside.
- Mix well in a larger bowl the tahini, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. (It's important to mix these ingredients before the next ingredients!)
- Add the flax egg.
- Add the oats.
- Then add the chocolate chips and walnuts. Stir well to combine.
- Dampen your hands, and scoop 1.5 to 2 tablespoons and form cookie shapes (not balls, as these cookies will not flatten out any more in the oven).
- Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let them cool, and eat and enjoy!
- I prefer the Soom brand of tahini, which is a women-owned Philly-based company, and is the brand used by my favorite James Beard award-winning chef.
- I like the Enjoy Life brand of vegan chocolate chips, which are neither too bitter nor too sweet.
- All of the above ingredients are *usually* gluten-free, but you should check the Ingredients labels of the products you are using if you must eat gluten-free. And, if you have a nut allergy, you can omit the nuts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 4g
I hope this 15-minute recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies becomes a staple in your home as it has in mine.
Related Vegan Dessert Recipe Posts
And if you like easy vegan dessert recipes like this one, check out my recipes for:
Pin this recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies to Pinterest because you can refer back to it when it's time to bake!