Are you a Deep Autumn on the color analysis chart struggling to find the best makeup colors for you? Then, shop this list of the best Deep Autumn Makeup colors by someone who actually IS a Deep Autumn myself.
This means my recommendations are tried and tested. This is exactly the makeup I myself wear after painstaking hours studying both color analysis and the many shades offered by various makeup companies. I also worked with a professional makeup artist to define good shades for a Deep Autumn like myself.
I share all the best Deep Autumn makeup shades I use myself, as well as lists of general colors that work. I tried to write this post in a way that both gives you specific product recommendations PLUS enough information for you to learn what shades work and what to look for when shopping on your own.
Once you finish reading this post, you will go from a confused shopper to a color pro!
About Deep Autumn Color Palette
First, let's briefly talk about the basics of a Deep Autumn to set the framework.
Deep Autumns usually have brown (light or dark), hazel, or green eyes and warm-toned brown or black hair (with hints of red or gold). The overall contrast of skin to eyes and hair is somewhere in the middle, with neither an extremely low or high contrast. The appearance of rich brown tones do prevail.
Deep Autumn can be confused with Deep Winter, which is similarly deep and rich. The biggest differences are that Deep Winter will have a higher contrast of dark and light features, as well as cool tones.
If you are on the fence, as I was for some time, two easy ways to figure out if you are a Deep Winter or a Deep Autumn are to: (1) define your hair as more warm or ashy toned and (2) to determine whether you can wear spicy oranges like pumpkin or terracotta. If spicy oranges work for you and your hair is more warm than grayish and ashy, you are a Deep Autumn!
Deep Autumns have a warm hue, which means their colors are moving towards red on a scale of red to blue but not extremely warm. Deep Autumn colors are mostly darker in value on a scale of light to dark. Lastly, Deep Autumn colors have a neutral chroma, meaning its colors are neither extremely muted nor extremely bright. However, the colors are rich given the warmth of the hues, unlike a Soft Autumn.
Note that the opposites include light, cool pastels of Spring and Summer that should be avoided, such as ice blue, light lemon, pale pink, and mint green.
Deep Autumns are exactly what the name sounds like -- the colors of a Thanksgiving meal in a deep forest where leaves have fallen. This means the shades will convey the warmth and depth of fall: pumpkin, mustard, cider, harvested vegetables, olives, cinnamon, red wine, and chocolate. Sounds delicious, doesn't it?!
With that background, below are all the best Deep Autumn makeup colors I have tried and tested and use myself as a Deep Autumn after painstakingly studying shades and brands to complete my own personal capsule wardrobe.
Book recommendation: The Curated Closet: A Simple System for Discovering Your Personal Style and Building Your Dream Wardrobe by Anuschka Rees helps you come up with formulas and color palettes perfectly suited to you.
Deep Autumn Makeup Colors
Below you will find the best Deep Autumn:
- Nail Polish
Deep Autumn Eyeshadow
The most flattering Deep Autumn eyeshadow shades are creamy, warm, and neutral:
- Butter Rum
- Taupe (greyish AND brownish shades)
These colors make it super easy to purchase some excellent neutral palettes that give you a range of shades to mix and match. I focused on finding palettes in (a) warm neutrals and (b) a variety of shades of taupe to easily cover most of these shades without spending a fortune.
Below are the Deep Autumn eyeshadow palettes I use and love, or are on my wish list to try:
From the colors listed above, you now know that all taupes work well, so That's Taupe is a total no-brainer palette.
But, to give you more information on why this specific Nude Mood palette works so well, let's review the description of "warm neutrals" including ivory, soft gold, saddle brown, copper-gold, burnt peach, bronze, burnt sienna, and chestnut brown. The shades are basically a total match to our color list!
This Natasha Denona Mini Nude Eyeshadow Palette is another great one on my personal wish list with fully matching shades of creamy, copper and gold shimmers, as well as a light terracotta and deep chocolate.
Deep Autumn Eyeliner
The most flattering Deep Autumn eyeliner shades are:
- Dark Brown (espresso, chocolate, walnut)
Below are the Deep Autumn eyeliner shades I use and love:
- CLINIQUE Quickliner™ For Eyes Eyeliner in "Black/Brown" (a shade similar to Espresso) or "Dark Chocolate"
- SEPHORA COLLECTION Retractable Waterproof Eyeliner in "Olive"
Notice that I just matched up the type of eyeliner I like (retractable with a smudging sponge) with the shades that work for Deep Autumn. I have been using the CLINIQUE one for more years than I can count (probably decades at this point) and the SEPHORA one is new to me, but I have been loving playing around with matching it to other Deep Autumn makeup. It just very slightly makes a statement.
I will also note that eggplant is a great shade to make dark brown eyes stand out, but I haven't tried it yet.
Deep Autumn Blush
The most flattering Deep Autumn blush shades are:
- Spiced coral
Below are the Deep Autumn blush shades I use and love:
Ilia Multi-Stick in "Dreamer" (described as terracotta) and "Lady Bird" (neutral rose) has won the following awards and, as you can tell by the descriptions above, the shade is exactly what works best for us:
- Best Blush, Allure's Readers' Choice Awards (2021)
- Beauty Crush Awards, HELLOGIGGLES (2020)
- Best Multi-Use, Byrdie's Eco Beauty Awards (2019)
I absolutely ADORE these Ilia Multi-Stick for cheeks AND lips. These shades are perfect for a Deep Autumn, and it's a great product.
Milk Makeup's Lip + Cheek Cream Blush Stick in "Quirk" (warm spiced rose) also has a description that is well suited to Deep Autumn shades.
And both can also be used on your lips too! Win-win.
Deep Autumn Bronzer
The most flattering Deep Autumn bronzer shades are "sunbaked:"
When selecting a bronzer, it definitely helps to search for that sunbaked look that is neither too orange or muted. Trust me, orangey shades will look really bad on you! A bit of shimmer with a warm golden tan shade is just perfect.
Below are my two favorite Deep Autumn bronzers that I use and love:
- NARS Laguna Getaway Bronzer Powder: brown with golden sheen
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Bronzer in Radiant Bronze Light: a warm bronze shade ideal for medium/deep complexions
Notice how the shades selected are described in suitable shades or warmth and gold and bronze tones. The Hourglass bronzer also uses the exact word "deep" like Deep Autumn. I especially love the Hourglass bronzer because it's so subtle and natural in giving you warmth and glow. It's never muddy, and you cannot mess it up!
And the NARS Laguna Getaway Bronzer Powder is a fan favorite beloved by so many people, including me.
Both also come in "mini" sizes so you can test them out at a lower price!
Deep Autumn Foundation
The most flattering Deep Autumn foundation shades will be a warm neutral and can range from light and creamy to deep and chocolatey, depending on your exact skin tone.
You should definitely avoid pink or blue bases.
Everyone's exact skin tone is very different, but to give you a start, I will note that I do tend to find myself within the range of "medium neutral" for most brands, and I have tested extensively.
One thing I learned early on is that, even if your skin is light, you can still be a medium! I think this is because a lot of "light" shades are pink and blue-based.
The two foundations I use are:
- Honest Beauty CCC Clean Corrective with Vitamin C Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 in "Terra" is for lighter, daily use. It's coverage is similar to that of a CC cream.
- Beautycounter Skin Twin Featherweight Foundation (Best Seller) in "340"(medium with golden undertones) is what I use for "going out" (but it's still pretty light and natural appearing).
Deep Autumn Lipstick
The most flattering Deep Autumn lipstick shades are:
- Burnt sienna
- Sangria wine
- Barn Red
- Peachy Brown
Below are the Deep Autumn lipsticks I use and love:
- Dior Lip Glow in Rosewood (sheer rosy nude) is a perfect match to one of our best shades.
- Ilia Balmy Tint Hydrating Lip Balm comes in several shades that can work (that's why I love this product so much!): "Hold Me" (warm peachy nude), "Runaway" (neutral pink nude), Memoir (neutral mauve; my personal favorite), "Heartbeats" (warm red), and "Lady" (neutral cranberry). You'll notice a lot of chroma in neutral that matches the Deep Autumn color palette in a range of warm shades.
- Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick- Pillow Talk Collection in "Medium" (warm berry pink) which works as a berry (often more cool-toned) specifically because it's "warm" and otherwise, it works because it's deep but not too bright, kind of like the colors fig, raisin, and mulberry mentioned above. You can never go wrong with Charlotte Tilbury lipstick. It's high quality and somehow seems to work for so many people.
- Kosas Weightless Lip Color Lipstick in "Fringe" (warm-toned earthy brick red) is a dark red for Winter that actually works for us (no blue tones like many reds).
- Tower 28 Beauty ShineOn Jelly Lip Gloss in "Magic" (clear with gold shimmer) to top off every look with warm sparkle without changing the shade of my lipstick. It's so perfectly subtle to finish off my looks!
Deep Autumn Nail Polish
The most flattering Deep Autumn nail polish shades are any and all of the shades listed above in all sections.
To get you started, here is one Olive & June ombre set ("Caramel Apple Spice") that works perfectly:
- "SC": deep Bordeaux
- "LD": rosy neutral
- "JJ": cinnamon brown
- "MM": toasted neutral
- "OJSM": rose gold metallic
Can you see how perfectly the shades match the makeup recommended previously?!
However, if you want to get more adventurous, you can try these "Fall" nail polish shades, which also match the colors we discussed earlier:
- "WKF" moss green
- "MG" terracotta orange
- "HGC" creamy neutral
- "JO" dusty apricot
- "RP" creamy taupe
It's actually easy to determine these shades are a match based on their descriptions AND the fact they are listed under the season "Fall" on Olive & June's website:
That concludes all the best Deep Autumn makeup from my personal research and experience as a Deep Autumn myself. I hope you now feel total educated and enlightened to revamp your makeup now!
Pin this post to Pinterest because you can refer back to it for more of the best Deep Autumn makeup (I will keep it updated with new picks I test out and like)!