This book review of And They Called It Camelot by Stephanie Marie Thornton discusses a historical fiction, unputdownable book about Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis that is impossible to put down. It also shares fun pairings for more like the book!
Book Review of And They Called It Camelot
For one brief shining moment, there was Camelot.- Stephanie Marie Thornton
And They Called It Camelot was one book I simply could not put down. In one sentence: it's a historical fiction account of the life of former First Lady, Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis told from her own perspective.
I thought I knew Jackie O. But, I was wrong. The intimate first-person narrative, coupled with the monumental nature of so many events in her life made this book unputdownable. I learned a lot and also felt so much suspense. There's:
- her meeting with JFK and subsequent wedding;
- JFK's medical problems;
- JFK's marital scandals;
- family issues;
- their babies who died;
- life in politics;
- her special friendship with the Kennedy patriarch;
- her "relationships" with Bobby Kennedy, as well as Aristotle Onassis;
- the highs and lows of the presidency; and
- and, of course, JFK's assassination and its aftermath.
While so much of history is about "The Kennedys," And They Called It Camelot was uniquely "Jackie," and I couldn't get enough of it. It's well-researched and addictive, giving the reader a truly three-dimensional view of Jackie O, as if it came straight from the pages of her diary.
Above all, it's a portrait of loyalty, duty and fear that holds your attention right up to the last page. (I was getting total Enneagram 6 vibes from Jackie!)
I highly recommend it to historical fiction fans, whether or not you are a fan of the Kennedys.
For more like And They Called It Camelot:
- Read Jackie and Maria: A Novel of Jackie Kennedy & Maria Callas, which focuses on these two women and their relations with Aristotle Onassis (the perfect follow-up book).
- Watch the Oscar-nominated, award-winning movie Jackie (I really enjoyed it!)
- Watch American Dynasties: The Kennedy's docu-series for a great biographical look at the family's history.
- Check out my Jackie O style guide -- I truly believe Jackie was one woman whose style told the story of her life.
I hope this book review of And They Called It Camelot with fun lifestyle pairings was helpful.