This basil gin lemonade cocktail is both fresh AND refreshing. It combines the sourness of lemon juice, the sweetness of agave syrup, and the herbaceous flavors of gin and basil.
A non-vegan version of this recipe was actually our signature wedding cocktail! We wanted something that had a spirit that both men and women liked and that also felt very fresh for Spring. We called it the "Freshly Married." It was a hit with our guests, both male and female!
In case you were wondering, most gin is vegan, including most popular storebought brands, including Tanqueray, Beefeater, Bombay Sapphire and Hendricks. I recommend Hendricks for this basil gin lemonade cocktail recipe because it really highlights the herbaceous notes of the gin. Other gins can be more lime forward, which is not truly the profile of this recipe.
All of these ingredients combine for a cocktail that feels ALIVE!
And it's vegan because it uses agave syrup instead of simple syrup or sugar. However, if you don't want it to be strictly vegan for whatever reason, just substitute the agave for sugar or simple syrup.
You can make a lighter version of this cocktail by halving the gin and doubling the lemon juice. It still tastes great, but more fruity and less herbaceous.
However, we recommend against substituting lemonade. The fresh lemon juice makes a huge difference -- we tested both.
This recipe is also gluten-free. Win, win, win. Below is how to make this delicious drink.
- 2 oz. gin
- 1 oz. lemon juice, fresh squeezed (about 1 lemon)
- ¼ oz. agave syrup
- 5-6 leaves fresh basil
- Optional: 1 slice cucumber, for garnish
- Add basil, gin and agave syrup to a cocktail glass, then muddle the basil thoroughly.
- Add lemon juice and muddle again.
- Add ice to your cocktail glass.
- Stir the cocktail with a bar spoon for 15-30 seconds.
- Optional: garnish with a basil leave and/or cucumber slice.
- if you don't want it to be strictly vegan for whatever reason, just substitute the agave for sugar or simple syrup.
- You can make a lighter version of this cocktail by halving the gin and doubling the lemon juice.
- We recommend against substituting lemonade. The fresh lemon juice makes a huge difference.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 0g
Shop the exact tools we used in our home to create this cocktail below. We are pretty specific about our bar tools, and we love these! Most of them are Amazon's Choice and super cost effective too:
Book Pairings for Basil Gin Lemonade Cocktail Recipe
Since I always pair books and lifestyle on this blog, I recommend the following book pairings for this cocktail recipe:
- my favorite wine and cocktail recipe books (blog post), or
- shop these wine and cocktail recipe books in one spot on Amazon
Related Cocktail Recipes
If you liked this cocktail recipe, you may also like my other cocktail recipes:
Pin this basil gin lemonade cocktail recipe to Pinterest because it’s so fresh and refreshing.