This vegan & gluten-free apple cranberry crisp with oatmeal recipe is sweet yet healthy Fall PERFECTION. I knew I had to post it when my husband, who isn't one for sweets at all and was full from dinner at the time I served it to him said, "What if I want seconds?"
Later, he said, "that recipe's a winner." (testimonial paid for only with food ;-))
Note: I altered this recipe from this cinnamon apple tart cherry crumble on the Love & Lemons blog. I am a huge fan of their blog and cookbooks, which are very produce forward. The main differences are that I use dried cranberries instead of cherries, oat flour, vegan butter instead of coconut oil (I do taste the difference) and allspice instead of cardamom (similar, but more useful to keep on hand). I also decreased the brown sugar to reduce the total sugar.
This scrumptious and comforting vegan and gluten-free apple cranberry crisp with oatmeal topping is proof that you don't need dairy or a lot of sugar to make a delicious dessert that still has health benefits of fruit, oats and nuts! I bet you will ask for seconds too.
How to Make Apple Cranberry Crisp with Oatmeal Topping
- 3 small chopped apples
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice (about ½ a lemon)
- ⅓ cup whole rolled oats
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup gluten free flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 pint vegan ice cream of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and grease an 8x8 round pie pan, 9x9 square baking pan, or other similar-sized dishes.
- In a medium bowl, toss the chopped apples with the lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oats, walnuts, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the crumble. Use your hands to incorporate it into the dry crumble topping. Stop when it’s incorporated but still crumbly in texture.
- Mix the apples and dried cranberries with ½ the crumble mixture and place into the baking dish. Sprinkle the rest of the crumble on top.
- Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Then, uncover and bake 15-20 more minutes until the apples are soft and the crumble is golden brown.
- Let sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with scoops of ice cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 460Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 165mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 5gSugar: 49gProtein: 5g
This vegan and gluten-free apple cranberry crisp with oatmeal topping recipe is my go-to dessert recipe for a comforting yet healthy Fall dessert. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Shop the Recipe
If you don't want to hunt down the most unique ingredients for this recipe in your local store, you can quickly and easily shop my recommendations for these ingredients on Amazon:
Related Cookbook Recommendations
Also, since this is a blog “where books meet lifestyle,” I always pair my posts with books. Since I altered this recipe from the Love & Lemons blog, I am pairing this recipe with their cookbooks (also two of my favorite cookbooks), The Love & Lemons Cookbook and Love & Lemons Every Day. As I mentioned earlier, these cookbooks are very produce forward. They are my go-to's when I get a piece of produce with which I really want to do something special but am not sure which direction to go.
Related Vegan Recipe Posts
And if you enjoy vegan food, check out more of my simple vegan recipes:
- Philly “cheesesteaks“
- Spring Pasta with lemon, asparagus, peas & mushrooms
- 15-minute chocolate chip cookies
- Banana oat bars with blueberries and walnuts
- Broccoli cheese soup
- Spicy penne alla vodka sauce
- Quick one pot red beans and rice
- Roasted cauliflower & leek soup
Lastly, pin this post to Pinterest because you can refer back to it later.